Cotton is one of the most versatile clothing materials there is. It is organic and does not have to rely on an animal to lose it’s skin or life for us to have clothes made from it! What interesting things do we know about this wonderful stuff? It’s certainly true that the good people at Mish Mash Clothes would be stuck with ways in which to make their designs come to life. Have a look at https://www.louisboyd.co.uk/brands/mish-mash.html to see some great examples.
- Cotton is one of the oldest plants on the planet. It seems that the ancient Peruvians were growing it for clothes in four hundred and fifty BC.
- The Cotton Gin made life a lot easier for everyone. This was a machine that removed the important fibres from the seeds.
- That’s not to say that the seeds are a waste, they can be used for tasty animal food and also by humans with cotton oil.
- Cotton is a sustainable material. The seeds are planted in the springtime. They are fully grown by the autumn when they are harvested and prepared for the clothing industry.
- The best cotton is growing and produced in Egypt. However for the most part “upland cotton” is used as it is a hardy good grower that is extremely abundant.
- OrganicCotton is very green. The industry has worked hard to reduce the carbon footprint of cotton. It now uses practices that have reduced soil and water consumption not forgetting that growing cotton contributes to reducing carbon in the atmosphere. Pesticide use has been reduced by half and, best of all, Cotton is 100% biodegradable and compostable.